Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One of those days.

Today my house looks like this....
 My babies and I are still in PJ's and I can't seem to accomplish anything worthwhile!
SO instead of getting my act together and forcing myself to DO something I'm just gonna quit fighting it and read a book. Right now I'm reading MiddleMarch by George Eliot, solely so I can watch the movie of it on Netflix and actually know the back story.

Do you prefer to read the book first or watch the movie? Really I wanna know.
I used to like to read the book first since then you know the whole story, except that sometimes you end up hating the movie because it is inevitably NEVER as good as the book. So now I think I like watching the movie first so that you can just enjoy it without anticipating the next event. The  exception to this rule for me are movies made by BBC they are so accurate that you feel like you know and love the characters more if you read the book first. Now that you know I am obsessed with reading and BBC movies...
No seriously when I get a new stack of books it's like Christmas to me. First I read all the backs, then I put them in order from most interesting to least and decide in which order I will devour them, usually leaving the best for last. One of the best birthday presents I ever got was when my brother and sister in law sent me a stack of  fresh books from Amazon it was like getting a box of goodies, I couldn't wait to dive in.
 It is sometimes hard to find time to read with four kids but days like today are perfect for just that! Ignoring your kids every once in a while is good for them. They learn self reliance, problem solving, and resourcefulness! No really try it, the mess can be picked up later it's only gonna get messy again in .5 seconds anyway. And reading helps to relieve stress so when you return from your mini mind vacation you will be ready to work and play with a little more zeal!
(Photos via Google images)

2 comments:

  1. I always read the book before seeing the movie too! And usually like the book better. The only time I liked the movie better was in The Count of Monte Cristo. The movie ended happy. Love your blog!
    -Emily Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more with the ok-ness of taking a break and reading sometimes! I LOVE to read and am now after reading this dying to get a new book. I have not read MiddleMarch but saw the move and loved it. I have to say I am a read the book, then see the movie kind a gal. I don't like having a preconceived idea about the story or characters. I just saw the commercial for "something borrowed" (which I read but would never recommend for it is a bit risqué) but was so bugged by the choice of Kate Hudson. I want to see your list of good books to read:)

    ReplyDelete