Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It's a sad sad day at the Eyestone house:

Breaking News!!!!!:   I have it from a reliable source that our beloved favorite restaurant Gecko Grill in Gilbert is closing!!!!! This is truly tragic news and though this reporter has not confirmed the validity of said rumor, I myself will be acting on the assumption that it is true and haul my cookies down there at least once before the rumored closing date Friday, September 30th. When I told golden the news, which came in late last night from my SIL Lindsay, he was reeling. We are both in shock and heart broken. All I have to say is where o where am I gonna get a shrimp mango quesadilla from now huh? Gecko is nearly the only Mexican restaurant we will go to. I know everyone likes Tia Rosa's but I am NOT a fan the food is bland, unexciting and extremely over priced. And before you suggest El Charro or Matta's think again they are not even worth mentioning! Yuck and yuckier if I wanted food from a can I would use a can opener. The only other place that even comes close, is Moreno's but it is more authentic and less baja then Gecko, so many of the seafood items are not on the menu and they do not have the American fusion element that Gecko has perfected such as jalapeno cream cheese and spicy spinach con queso. Gecko you will be sorely missed , we may not have visited you as often in the past few years but it was good to know that we could. I want you to know we were always loyal to you and defended you at any cost, even friendship. We will never forget your shrimp burro, crabby burro, shrimp mango quesadilla, salmon tacos, fiesta tacos, enchiladas, special chimi, pollo grande, and so many many more. You will be in our heart forever and always!!!!! We can only hope that you will eventually reopen and we can once again enjoy your delicious offerings. So long my looooveee, until we meet again. I will leave all you fans with a few mementos drool over....
picture compliments of google







Update****: We went in tonight and found out that they are maybe just moving but even then they will be closed for at least 6 months!!! This reporter has her doubts though. As many of you may know Golden worked there as a server and then manager for like 6 years, as I mentioned earlier Moreno's is one of our faves especially because we know the owner Angel, who is Fransisco's( the owner of geckos) brother . We heard it through the grapevine that the owners of gecko have been spending a lot of time working and helping out at Moreno's which is doing really well and has actually expanded and now owns a Neveria on Broadway and Horne (ice cream shop). I personally would speculate that they are working on a merger and would not at all be surprised to find that Moreno's adopts some popular menu items from Gecko. Either that or I would suspect that Gecko might adopt the same business plan as Moreno's and become more of a walk up type of restaurant. They are actually closing Saturday so get your fill before then! The official word is that the complex they are located in is under new management and were requiring that Gecko sign a 5 year lease which they were unwilling to commit to so they chose to close and potentially reopen only time will tell I will keep ya posted :)



No comments:

Post a Comment