Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Two Slice Hilly

So recently I mentioned that I read The Help, and watched the movie. Both were really enjoyable envoking the full spectrum of emotions from laughter to tears. It was honestly the best contemporary novel I've read in a long time.Though I will say that I should have watched the movie first and then read the book because I would have enjoyed the movie more if I had. Any of you who have read/watched it will get the title of my post hehe and get why it inspired me to look up a recipe for chocolate chess pie (sans excrement).I found a few and tweaked them to my own liking, essentially coming up with my own recipe and to my great surprise it was wonderful the first time I baked it!!! So I thought I would share the recipe as well as my/ Lee's recipe for easy pie crust.

This is not the actual pie I made but it looked similar to this one, picture courtesy of Google

Pie crust (yields 2, 9in crusts) you only need one for this pie so half the recipe unless you are making 2.
2 1/2 C Flour
1 C Crisco butter flavored shortening sticks
1/2 C ice water
1tsp salt
1tsp vinegar

For now I will tell you the easy and fast way to make this because I want to eventually do a tutorial with pictures on how to make a pie crust by hand using butter, which takes longer but I believe it turns out much more tender and flaky however it is much harder to describe without pictures. Maybe I will have it ready in time for thanksgiving?
So first  measure out the flour and salt into the bowl of your food processor with the blade in, and add the Crisco cut into squares on top. You can then measure out the ice water, adding the vinegar, and set it on the counter to allow the ice to melt. Then pulse in the food processor till the pieces are about the size of peas. Slowly pulse in the water/vinegar mixture. Do Not over mix once the water is mostly incorporated I like to turn the mixture out onto the counter and bring it together by hand.  The key to a tender crust is not to overwork it if you do it will be very tough, trust me I know. Form into two equal sized balls and wrap tightly in plastic wrap before pressing them flat, then refrigerate for at least an hour. After it has chilled roll it out onto a lightly floured counter top, roll from the middle out applying even pressure. You can then carefully fold it into quarters before transferring it into your pie dish then just gently unfold it without stretching and press into your pie dish place in the freezer while you make the filling.

Chocolate chess pie

1 stick of butter
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips I used Ghiradelli
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1 C sugar
2Tbs flour
2Tbs cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C whole milk
3 eggs
1 1/2tsp vanilla

preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a double boiler or heatproof bowl fitted over a pot of water on low heat, melt chocolate and butter together. Pour chocolate mixture into the bowl of your stand mixer then add sugar , flour, cocoa, salt, vanilla and milk mix on low till Incorporated. Next add the eggs and turn mixer on to medium for 5-6 minutes. Pour mixture into your uncooked pie crust and bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool for at least and hour on the counter for the center to firm up. Top with fresh whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment