Monday, March 12, 2012

Best Pesto Ever!

So for a few years I have been experimenting with different Pesto recipes that all turn out great but a little too strong to eat plain on pasta. I have tried using spinach, arugula, and thinning it with chicken stock to no avail I end up making Alfredo to mellow it out. But I finally found a winning combination and so I just have to share/ record it here so I remember how to make it next time. No pics sorry but it was super green and yummy.
3/4 of an asparagus bunch ( I blanched them in salted water for 4 minutes first)
2 C baby spinach
1 C Basil
6 cloves garlic
3/4 to 1 C good olive oil
1/2 C Parmesan cheese
2 Tbs cream cheese softened
1/2 C chopped Walnuts toasted in a dry pan over medium heat ( traditionally it calls for pine nuts but I am too cheap for that)
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp lemon juice
Heat 4 of the garlic cloves with the 3/4 C olive oil over medium heat for about 5 min to soften the garlic without burning. Add all ingredients besides olive oil into a food processor and blend on high while slowly streaming the olive oil until well combine. Serve over your favorite pasta.
Tips: do not heat the sauce instead pour it over the hot pasta using a little of the pasta water to thin the sauce if needed. Can be served hot or cold and makes an excellent dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment